National Field Manager, Medical Affairs, Nephrology
Type: Permanent position
Department: Medical and Regulatory Affairs
Summary of Purpose
The Manager, Field Medical Affairs is primarily responsible for the governance of the Field Medical Affairs team (MSLs) and the strategic field execution of the medical and scientific tactics supporting the Scientific communication platform of products within the Nephrology franchise. He/she provides leadership as well as management and operational oversight to Nephrology MSLs across Canada in support of thought leaders (TLs), investigators and other healthcare provider related to MSL activities.
He/she provides strategic input and leadership into the development of Brand plans, based on field insights, scientific knowledge of the products and medical landscape, in partnership of head-office based therapeutic leads. Internally, He/she is part of strategic working teams to provide expert medical advice and technical field perspective to counterparts of other functional areas such as Marketing, Sales, Training, CME, others.
He/she ensures high scientific knowledge for all his/her field medical team and coaches them to be enabling partners cross-functionally, ensuring that all medical and scientific activities are conducted per appropriate regulations and internal procedures.
He/she possesses high scientific credibility, strong leadership, task-oriented and a customer-focused approach, developing strategic partnerships with key scientific experts and other key stakeholders, as needed.
- Optimize Medical Affairs performance by providing strategic direction for the development, implementation and execution of country medical plans, strategies and scientific communication platforms
- Guide the MSLs, through scientific exchange with TLs on Nephrology products and clinical practice, the ability to gather relevant insights that will inform medical, research and commercial strategies and tactics.
- Ensure scientific and competitive intelligence as well as customer insight gathered during MSL interactions with TLs or during attendance of congresses is appropriately captured and communicated to relevant Medical Affairs and Clinical Development personal
- Partner with medical leads to develop short and long-term plans as well as availability of appropriate MSL resources that support of the safe and appropriate use of Otsuka products
- Develop and maintain up-to-date SOPs for all areas of responsibility as needed
- Provide appropriate guidance and oversight to ensure MSLs abide by OCPI core values as well as ensure all necessary and required training are conducted within expected timelines
- Direct supervisory responsibility for Nephrology MSLs including recruiting, selecting and hiring qualified candidates
- Optimize Medical Affairs performance by promoting a culture of continuous individual development and improvement; thriving to align Otsuka medical activities with the best practices in the industry.
- Spend appropriate time in the field observing and coaching MSLs field-based activities and ensure all performance standards and expectations including adherence to Otsuka and regulatory guidelines are being met or exceeded
- Provide appropriate mentoring and coaching to direct reports with respect to technical skills, business practices, communication and team building to foster a collaborative work environment
- Integrate and develop MSLs, including long-term career and succession planning to ensure MSLs reach their full potential within their current roles and are prepared for future opportunities within Otsuka
- Oversee and manage field functional and brand spending per the approved budget
- Conduct regular meetings/teleconferences as well as in person meetings with Nephrology MSLs to communicate key home office initiatives as well as discuss key issues and challenges that need to be addressed.
- Ensure compliance of the field medical team with all applicable regulations and internal procedures.
- Responsible for administrative oversight of MSL activities such as review and approval of expense reports, congress attendance and accurate capture and recording of field-based activities within customer engagement tool.
Overall accountability for the medical strategic and tactical plan for MSLS
- Identifies the healthcare professional and patient needs and characterizes implications to medical strategy
- Identifies and prioritizes local medical gaps/hurdles
- Identifies strategic opportunities and synergies across therapeutic areas, where applicable
- Defines and prioritizes local medical strategies, including scenario and contingency plans
- Aligns medical strategic plan with other functions’ strategic plans (e.g. market access, marketing, etc.)
- Defines local medical tactical plan and MSL POA (including an appropriate mix of insight generation, knowledge exchange, evidence generation, and internal expertise, according to life cycle)
- Drive the execution of medical tactical plans through leadership of cross-functional medical team
- Monitors execution of tactical plan and MSL POA against defined KPIs
- Consistently evaluates, evolves and adapts medical plans as appropriate
- Lead/participate as a member of local integrated cross functional teams and core medical teams
- Participate & contribute to medical strategy within global and regional medical teams, where applicable
Education, Special Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in the health sciences (e.g., MD, Pharm D. or PhD). or equivalent educational credentials is required
- Progressive career in the pharmaceutical industry (minimum 8-10 years including MSL role) with a minimum of three years with senior medical affairs responsibilities, as well as 2 or more years of previous people management and leadership experience
- Proven track record of success especially around thought leader engagement and experience working with academic centers of excellence
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend complex scientific, medical and business issues as well as analytical skills to identify key barriers or success factors
- Experience developing and communicating strategic and tactical plans that support field based MSL activities
- Exceptional commercial insight and understanding of the role of medical and in the achievement of business goals
- Comprehensive knowledge of the drug development process, labeling and promotional reviews and GCP, Innovative Medicine guidelines.
- Strong medical and business acumen
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written, as well strong people management and development skills is required
- Must be able to interact successfully with a variety of individuals at the local, regional and global levels, which include local clinical investigators, payer administrators, regulatory officials and individuals of various patient advocacy organizations with an interest in our products and clinical trial outcomes.
- Effective presentation skills
- Exceptional leadership with strong strategic thinking skills
- Adaptable and flexible with strong negotiations skills
- Work independently and with autonomy in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Team player who is willing to “jump into” other projects when needed
- Previous experience in Nephrology and/or Cardiovascular with an active network in these fields are also an asset.
- Bilingual (French and English), written and spoken would be a definite asset
- Willingness to travel approx. 50%
MSL Team, Nephrology